Thursday 16 June 2016

TIME OUT WITH 'M-KLASS'



I had an interview with a young man, Michael Oyetayo today in the office and it was quite interesting. A young law student from the university of Ife who is happily married and doing a blend of gospel and motivational music. Below are excerpts from the interview:

Tell us about you, your growing up, personal life, marriage and all.
My name is Michael Oyetayo but my stage name is M-Klass. In my University days, I was called ‘Mickey tha messenja’ because of my content conscious lyrics.

My dad was a diplomat so my family did a lot of travelling. I was born in Bamako Mali and spent time in Mexico, Romania and then New York. 

I grew up in New York when hip-hop was emerging in 1989 and I fell in love with the art which has influenced me ever since.

As a youth, I was influenced negatively. I used to sell weed and cigarettes at the snooker joint until I met with God through Jesus Christ.

I started doing music professionally in 2001 with a lot of underground material. Now that I am a little more matured I make music because I want to influence my generation positively. I feel music should inspire, entertain, encourage and educate. I call my material infotainment or edutainment.

I met my wife through a very good friend and we are very happily married with a baby girl called ‘Imole’.

How did you come about the name, M-Klass and how long have you been doing music?
I came about the name M-Klass when I started managing a music studio called Sysamiva studios in Abuja in 2009. Though like I earlier said, I was called ‘Mickey the messenja’ in my university days.

I have been recording music since 2001 but fell in love with music in January 1989 when I got to New York City.

Why gospel music? Do you see yourself doing secular music in the future?
Gospel is my life. It is what positively influenced me and removed me from the negative path I was on. So I use my music as an avenue for positive influence.
I will make all kinds of music as long as it glorifies God and positively inspires somebody.  My projection is for my music to inspire a generation of progressives to rebuild Nigeria and Africa and make her great again.

What songs have you done and what inspired the songs?
I have recorded many songs but my most recent songs are ‘good morning’ and ‘we dey pray’.

These songs are inspired by God. Also I look at my society and I want to be a catalyst of positive change which we so badly need.

What do you think about the Nigerian music industry?
The Nigerian music industry is a lively place full of many talented musicians but I think the industry needs leadership and a lot of positive influences.

When you listen being produced by our musicians and you watch our musical videos, it is very disappointing that our music lacks content and it’s usually negative. This I believe should not be the trend.

What are your plans for the future?
My plans for the future is to make good music that will positively influence our teeming youths. The type that will inspire them to be the best they can be.

I also want to produce short movies that will teach deep moral lessons for total value reorientation.

Do you see yourself loving your wife the same way in the next 20 - 30years?
By the grace of God, marriage is an institution created by God and he alone can sustain it though it’s not always going to be rosy but by His grace, I will keep my vows and love my wife forever.

How would you define love and music?
My music is a potent force for positive impact and change. My music is content conscious and for all music lovers and matured minds.

How did you feel performing gospel track at Fela’s Shrine?
I have no problem performing anywhere. I performed at the shrine on an occasion for  a hip-hop show. What is important is the content of the music performed. I believe anywhere I go, there is someone that needs inspiration and encouragement. so my music is relevant anywhere.

What’s your impression on the late producer, musician and business man OJB?
OJB was a cool guy, he was humble and was a big encouragement to me when I was a studio manager with no idea. I would never have ventured into music if not for people like OJB. He will be greatly missed.

Message to everyone out there.
My message to everyone out there is to search inwards for your God-given talent and use it to serve God and humanity, positively contributing to the growth and development of your society.

No comments:

Post a Comment