Thursday 18 February 2016

ERNESTINE AND WENDY GIVING THE LADIES A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY



There are days you wake up and after seeing pictures of some women on social media  you cannot but go take a second look at yourself on the mirror and say to no one in particular “how did I get here” especially if you were once a ‘show-stopper’ a few years earlier.

Now before you get me wrong,  I am not talking about models or very young celebs like the ‘Kim Kardashians’  of this world who still have age on their sides. No! I am talking about women who have far gone past mid-lives but still rocking great bodies as a result of good discipline which includes great workouts and healthy dieting.

When I say ‘workouts and dieting’, I mean consistent  workouts and dieting not the type that we indulge only when we want to fit into a new dress or ahead for an upcoming event and thereafter return to status quo when the ‘show’ is over.

Or how would you describe the situation where an 80 year old woman is looking fitter than those of us who are nowhere near mid-life yet are very laid back when it comes to keeping fit. 

I stumbled on the pictures of Ernestine Shepherd and Wendy Ida and I Said to myself  no more excuses” and so I have decided that no matter how hard it looks, feels or sounds, I am going back to the gym and stay on a good diet for good.

To say I have heard about Ernestine and Ida before stumbling on those pictures will be me telling a big ‘fat’ lie as I knew nothing about these two beautifully well-built ladies in their 80s and 60s.

Ernestine Shepherd is an 80year old African American body builder who at a time was named the oldest female builder by the Guinness Book of Records in 2010 and 2011. Shepherd who was a model in Baltimore only started taking aerobics lessons at 56 and has won two body-building titles, works as a personal trainer and leads exercise classes.

Now enough of Ernestine, let’s talk about Wendy Ida another lovely looking woman in her 60s. Wendy who is a fitness expert, TV host and author is another Guiness Book of Record holder for Oldest Active Instructor in several areas. Unlike Ernestine who started keeping fit at 56, Wendy started at 43.  

Hey ladies! What are you waiting for? Get your butts off the couch and start treading-the-mill already!! *winks*

A lot of people would say at 43, 56, 60, 80 “what am I doing aerobics for” and my response would be “for your own well-being and also looking good”. Like Wendy often says “it’s never too late to take back your life”.

As for me, I don’t need to wait till I’m 43, I am heading back to the gym and this time it’s going to be consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment