Wednesday 4 May 2016

MENACE OF SOCIAL MEDIA: TYPE 'AMEN' IF SYNDROME



Some specific group of human beings never cease to amaze me and a lot of other serious minded people as well. Or should I simply put it thus, that some people are so jobless and gullible.

Just when you think you’ve seen it all on social media, Gbam! You are hit with a new dimension.  From the look of things *and I kid you not* we haven’t seen anything compared with what is yet to come on social media.

What have we not seen, read or heard? You name it.

From couples washing their dirty linen out there, to chicks *young and old* trying to break the internet on a daily basis while posting nude/semi-nude pictures of their ‘ought to be private’ assets/endowments for both local and international recognition/market; onto posts where you are asked to type words such as ‘Amen’ to some kinds of prayers, ‘Yes’ if you agree with a comment or the post as well as ‘RIP’ when a picture ‘most times horrible’ of someone who just passed away is displayed and many more too numerous to outline here.  I bet you, we haven’t seen anything yet or you ain’t seen nuttin yet *in my American accent* laughs.

Last week I saw a horribly pathetic picture on a friend’s facebook page where she was tagged by someone else and on the post just after the picture was written “type Amen if you don’t want to die tonight” or was it “if you don’t type Amen you will die tonight”. I have forgotten the exact way it was written but then it was either of the two statements aforementioned.  To say I was shocked would be understated because I was altogether shocked, surprised, confused, and angry and interestingly even felt sorry for whoever did send out such a post. 

No God, not even the smallest of the gods in their right senses would answer such prayers on silly posts.

What was most worrisome and annoying was the fact that nearly everyone who commented on the post actually typed ‘Amen’ safe for the very few people who expressed their anger by warning whoever did send such a post never to tag them on such posts again or simply unfriend them while a few others sent back curses *some of which were hilarious* at the perpetrator/whoever sent the post.

Surprisingly, after going through the list of comments, I stumbled on my friend’s and was I shocked to see that she was amongst those who typed ‘Amen’? Yes I was because I never knew she was that susceptible to such ‘matters’ as I always thought she was a bit of a smart ass who I held in high esteem. I was disappointed. Without a word, I just scrolled past her page and moved on to another more interesting page.

It is such situations that you would wish Mark Zuckerberg had hit buttons such as God punish you right back or may your fingers wither as you try typing rubbish again and many other terribly harsh responses to such stupid posts.

I can understand where over a million people type ‘Amen’ to a post which has a picture of a man swaddled in millions of dollar bills from his chair and all over his living room. Even though most times I find such pictures very funny and outrageous with prayers such as “may you wake up to find your house filled with dollar bills overnight”, it still makes some sense to find people including reasonable persons who *even though they know it can’t happen just like that* would still go ahead to type ‘Amen’ for the fun of it, after all who doesn’t want to be rich? *Laughs*. Ha! Poverty is a knuckle head that deserves a permanent eradication from lives!!

Enough said already, please in as much as we are free to post whatever we like on social media, let’s not compel or threaten people with silly things on the platform that is meant to make life easier. If you truly enjoy getting the ‘Amen’ on your posts, then I admonish you make it a habit of sending something nice/sensible all the time or better still,  you can stick with such as the million dollar bills pictured posts. 

One quick question before I go. How much do these people make per annum from making people type such ‘Amen(s)’?

It still baffles me!

No comments:

Post a Comment