Friday 15 April 2016

LADIES SHUSH! GUYS, STAY OFF THE COLOURS AND WEIRDNESS, LET THE 'DENRELES' HAVE IT



Whenever you hear the word fashion, fashionable, fashionista, nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry or should I also say, every Onyinye, Laraba and Aisha would pop up with fashion tips they *most of the time* know next to nothing about.

In this era where every carpenter has become furniture/interior designers and all tailors fashion designers, even the young girls/ladies are not left out as every one of them have become make-up artists. I have seen many good, bad, ugly and even uglier -I could go on to ugliest- when it comes to fashion and it’s simply in order to maintain decorum that has prevented me on several instances from screaming this “outfit, make up, shoes et al-  is a no, no”.

If I was writing this piece a few years ago or let’s say about eight to ten years back, I humbly would have started by saying ‘Nigerian fashion industry has started but slowly gaining international repute’ but today I dare to say boldly without blinking or battling an eyelid that the Nigerian fashion industry is ‘BOMBING’ – not in the real sense of the word though - but bombing in the sense that nearly every celebrity around the world now want to be associated with one form of Nigerian fashion item or the other just as many others or many of them have attested on several platforms that Nigerians are ‘outrageously’ fashionable. Yes we are fashionable even as many of us have become ‘over-fashionable’ which most of the time can be termed ‘crazy’.

Sorry I had to use the word ‘outrageously’ for lack of a better word to drive home the point. But again, I need to explain right away that the word as used in this context is that, the way the Nigerian fashion industry has grown is shocking and surprising to millions of people across the world as it has exceeded the limits of what was anticipated from this part of the world.

Now with that out of the way, let’s get back on track. Alright? Good!

Then again, sometimes when you come across some people and what they wear, you will be tempted to agree with me that ‘indecent’ or ‘outrageous’ in the real sense of the words are not enough to describe the sight you behold.

Haba! Some ladies can kill somebody with their ‘coming out’ no doubts and the most annoying ones are those who would take some silly selfies with pouting lips and then upload on social media with captions such as “I slayed that look didn’t I? Or “I sure killed it” *laughs*. When I see such, I laugh and think out loud such statements as “yes you slayed/killed it indeed but I hope you don’t get slayed/killed in the process”.
 
Was that harsh? Pardon me if it was but then I’m sure a lot of you have seen many of such posts. The worst part is when people who just want to massage their egos start clicking the ‘like’ button or making comments such as “you sure killed it”, “you are looking hot”, “sweet” et al even when they think the very opposite. People are terrible sha!

I was at a children’s party the other day and the mother of the celebrant who was turning 10 asked that the mothers of the invited children should be dressed in any blue jeans (skirts, trousers or knickers) and the white T-shirts which were sold to us before the day of the party. I guess the mother of the celebrant eventually realized she made a huge mistake of giving the option of ‘knickers’ when she started seeing some of the mothers arrive with very hot ‘bumper shorts’ with their wards in tow looking a lot more better dressed than their mothers.

My friend who accompanied me to the party with my ward could not hold back her stares and laughs as the women came in with their ‘desperate looking’ clothes. On one occasion, I had to hit her hand down when she forgot herself and was pointing at one of the ladies with the shorts who had forced her nearly fat thighs and well-endowed backside into a pair of shorts which I suspect could belong to a regular size 14 lady as the woman actually looked an obvious size 18.

Women like enjoyment sha! The mothers danced and played even more than the children who were supposed to be the focus of the day as many of them just sat back on their chairs and watched the women have fun while the fathers were seated away from the rest of the attendees drinking, chatting and laughing at the spot which was allocated to them for the day.
     
Please do not mistake my held-back scream for just the females alone. I get it that ‘babes’ are the real culprits most of the times. The ladies can be so bad *as to even wear high heels to the beach* but then there are also guys who tend to overdo it sometimes too, especially some of the celebs on the red carpets.

Apart from Denrele whom I hear has been certified ‘fashion crazy’ all other guys who are guilty of overdoing it sometimes make me wonder if they are trying to get Denrele out of the market of the ‘wildly fashion-cracked people’. 
     
I sometimes don’t get it. I hate to sound like a broken record already, but then let me still ask for the millionth time, why would a matured man sag his trousers to let people have a peep at his boxers or crack leading to his buttocks? I really don’t it.

I walked into a bank this morning and a lady with more than half of her boobs out of the blouse she was wearing, walked towards me with everyone in the banking hall staring at her and said “please can I borrow you pen” which I obliged her. Just as I was trying to get over her appearance, a man walked in, apparently with this “I just came back attitude” with his sagged pants showing of a VERY large part of his grey boxers. As if sagging was not bad enough, the pants wear deep lemon coloured jeans. At that point, I had taken enough so I quickly took my pen from the nearly -fully-exposed ‘boobs’ lady and left the hall as soon as I was done with my transactions.
  
Need I say more? I don’t think men should wear too many colours of pants especially when it’s not a pair of suit *which may sometimes be understood*. I have seen guys wear screaming yellow, red, purple (and many more colours) jeans which shouldn’t be and yet all over the red, green, yellow or black carpets and the streets, it looks like it’s becoming acceptable.

Please let all such colours and razziness be left for Denrele even as the ladies revert to dressing up properly. Guys! Let Denrele continue savoring all the weirdness. You can’t compete with his eccentricity.
  
Simply put, some things are strictly meant for the runways and the movies.

I’m out for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment